Breast implants have revolutionized the field of breast augmentation, offering a path to enhanced beauty and self-confidence. Among the many choices available, one innovation stands out – Gummy Bear breast implants, also known as Natrelle® implants. At Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute, we are committed to staying at the forefront of cosmetic surgery techniques. Below, Orange County plastic surgeon, Dr. Daneshmand, will break down everything you need to know about Gummy Bear implants, including what they are, what they’re made of, whether they’re safe, how they compare to silicone and saline implants, and more. Our goal is to empower you with the knowledge needed to make informed decisions about your breast augmentation journey.
What Are Gummy Bear Implants?
Gummy Bear breast implants, scientifically termed highly cohesive gel implants, represent a significant advancement in the world of breast augmentation surgery. These implants are similar to Gummy Bear candies in that they have a unique consistency: a soft, yet cohesive texture. They have gained immense popularity for their ability to provide patients with natural-looking and feeling results from their breast augmentation surgery.
What Are Gummy Bear Implants Made Of?
The Natrelle® breast implant is crafted using a highly cohesive gel, setting them apart from traditional silicone or saline implants. This cohesive gel boasts a thicker and more stable consistency than the liquid silicone gel found in traditional implants. It is designed to maintain its form, even when the implant is incised, reducing the risk of wrinkling and rippling.
The outer shell of Natrelle® breast implants is constructed from a textured silicone material. This textured surface serves a critical role in preventing implant rotation and shifting within the breast pocket, ensuring the implant remains in its intended position to deliver a natural-looking result.
Are Gummy Bear Implants Safe?
Safety is paramount when contemplating any surgical procedure, including breast augmentation. It is vital to recognize that no medical device is entirely without risk.
Nevertheless, the Gummy Bear breast implant is largely considered to be safe. The cohesive gel within these implants is engineered to stay in place, even in cases of implant shell rupture, thereby reducing the risk of silicone leakage.
Natrelle® implants have been FDA approved for use in breast augmentation, a testament to their safety and efficacy. However, as with all medical procedures, breast augmentation carries potential risks and complications, as we will explore in detail later in this blog.
Gummy Bear Implants vs. Silicone Implants
Although Gummy Bear implants are a form of silicone implant, they present several notable distinctions from traditional silicone breast implants.
Natrelle® breast implants feature a cohesive gel that closely mirrors the feel of natural breast tissue.
Meanwhile, the traditional silicone breast implant contains a more liquid silicone gel, offering a softer feel but potentially increasing susceptibility to leakage if the implant shell ruptures.
Gummy Bear breast implants are teardrop shaped, and are celebrated for their ability to uphold their shape long after surgery. This reduces the likelihood of breast shape alterations or complications such as rippling or wrinkling.
On the other hand, traditional silicone implants may exhibit more visible signs of wrinkling or rippling, particularly in patients with less natural breast tissue.
The textured exterior of Natrelle® breast implants diminishes the risk of implant rotation and shifting within the breast pocket.
Traditional silicone implants feature a smooth outer silicone shell, potentially allowing for more movement over time.
Due to their thick silicone gel, Natrelle® breast implants may necessitate slightly larger incisions during surgery. Meanwhile, traditional silicone implants can often be placed through smaller incisions.
Gummy Bear Implants vs. Saline Implants
In addition to silicone implants, patients considering a breast augmentation procedure also have the option of saline implants. It is essential to compare Gummy Bear implants to all other breast implants to make an informed choice.
Natrelle® breast implants have a cohesive gel that mimics the natural feel of breast tissue. Meanwhile, saline implants contain a sterile saltwater solution, which may not feel as natural as the cohesive gel.
Gummy Bear implants maintain their teardrop shape, reducing the risk of breast shape alterations, such as rippling. Saline implants, on the other hand, are usually round implants that may be more prone to rippling, especially in patients with minimal natural breast tissue.
The textured silicone shell of Natrelle® implants minimizes the risk of implant rotation. Saline implants can rotate within the breast pocket, potentially affecting the appearance of the breasts.
Natrelle® implants may require slightly larger incisions due to their gel consistency, while saline implants can often be placed through smaller incisions.
How Long Do Gummy Bear Implants Last?
The longevity of breast implants can vary from patient to patient, influenced by factors such as implant type, lifestyle, and individual physiology. In general, Gummy Bear breast implants are designed to be long-lasting, with many women enjoying the benefits for a decade or more. The textured surface of Natrelle® implants plays a significant role in maintaining their natural shape and position within the breast pocket, contributing to their durability.
It is important to acknowledge that while these textured implants do not have a predefined expiration date, they may require replacement or revision surgery if issues like implant rupture, capsular contracture, or alterations in breast appearance occur. Regular follow-up appointments with your board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Daneshmand, are essential for monitoring the condition of your implants and ensuring their longevity.
Pros and Cons of Gummy Bear Implants
As with any medical procedure, Natrelle® implants come with a set of distinct advantages and disadvantages. It’s crucial to assess these factors thoughtfully when contemplating breast augmentation.
- Natural Look and Feel: Gummy Bear breast implants offer a more natural look and tactile sensation due to their silicone shell filled with cohesive gel, closely resembling natural breast tissue.
- Shape Retention: These implants are renowned for their ability to maintain their shape, reducing the risk of breast shape alterations like rippling or wrinkling.
- Durability: The textured shell of the Gummy Bear implant helps prevent implant rotation and shifting within the breast pocket.
- Reduced Risk of Leakage: The cohesive gel inside Gummy Bear breast implants is less prone to leakage in the event of a rupture.
- FDA Approval: Gummy Bear breast implants have received FDA approval, signifying their safety and effectiveness.
- Cost: Natrelle® implants tend to be more expensive than other implants, such as traditional silicone or saline breast implants.
- Incision Size: Due to their thicker gel, Gummy Bear breast implants may necessitate slightly larger incisions.
- Texture: Some patients may find the texture of the implant shell slightly firmer than that of traditional implant types.
- Potential for Rotation: Although the textured surface reduces the risk, Gummy Bear breast implants can still rotate within the breast pocket in rare cases.
How Much Do Gummy Bear Implants Cost?
The cost of Gummy Bear implants can fluctuate depending on several factors, including surgeon fees, facility costs, anesthesia expenses, and geographic location. In Orange County, California, the prices for breast augmentation with Gummy Bear implants typically range from $6,000 to $10,000. To obtain an accurate estimate tailored to your specific requirements and desired breast size and implant shape, it is advisable to consult with board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Daneshmand.
Risks and Complications Associated With Breast Implants
Like any surgical procedure, breast augmentation surgery with Natrelle® implants carries certain risks and potential complications. Some common risks associated with breast implants include:
- Infection: Infections can occur with any surgical procedure. Strict adherence to proper surgical techniques, sterile conditions, and post-operative care can help minimize this risk.
- Capsular Contracture: This phenomenon involves the formation of scar tissue around the implant, causing discomfort and potentially altering breast shape.
- Rupture or Leakage: While cohesive gel implants like Gummy Bears are designed to minimize leakage, ruptures can still occur and leak into the surrounding tissue, necessitating implant removal or replacement.
- Changes in Sensation: Some patients may experience changes in nipple sensation post-surgery, which can be either temporary or permanent.
- Scarring: All breast augmentation procedures entail incisions, which can leave scars. Proper care and strategic incision placement can minimize the visibility of scars.
Gummy Bear Implants and Breast Implant-Associated Cancers
In recent years, concerns have arisen regarding rare cancer cases associated with breast implants. More specifically, Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) and Breast Implant-Associated Squamous Cell Carcinoma (BIA-SCC) have been associated with textured silicone breast implants like the Gummy Bear implant. It is crucial to emphasize that the risk of developing BIA-ALCL or BIA-SCC is relatively low, and these conditions are treatable when detected early.
It’s essential for patients to stay informed about potential risks of breast augmentation surgeries and adhere to regular follow-up appointments with their plastic surgeons to monitor their breast health.
Call Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute Today
At Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute, we are dedicated to helping you achieve the beautiful, confident silhouette you desire. Dr. Daneshmand has more than 30 years of experience in performing all sorts of cosmetic procedures, and specializes in breast augmentation procedures using Natrelle® implants. If you have any questions or would like to explore your breast augmentation options further, schedule an appointment by calling 949-359-8397 today. Your dream silhouette awaits, guided by the expertise of our skilled plastic surgeon.