Dr. Hootan Daneshmand
Chin Implant - Bakersfield, CA
Chin Implants and Augmentation
A surgical chin augmentation redefines the chin by using a chin implant. In most cases, the chin implant balances the profile by extending the chin in relationship with the patient’s nose-thus, restoring harmony. A chin implant can improve the appearance of the jowls by smoothing over the transition and eliminating the look of a “weak chin”.
If you’re not pleased with your overall profile, you’d be surprised how much a chin implant can help!T he chin area can make or break the balance of your facial anatomy.
If you’re looking for facial plastic surgery, neck liposuction or lift, or just to sculpt around the area, Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute can help you.
Call 949-359-8397 to set up your initial consultation with us.
What is a Chin Implant and What Does it Do?
Chin implant surgery, also called chin augmentation surgery, is basically when a surgeon puts a silicone implant on top of the chin bone. This type of surgery can change the shape of a patient’s face by making their jawline sharper and achieving facial symmetry. Additionally, a chin implant can make someone’s small or sunken chin look more prominent.
Why Should I Get a Chin Implant in Orange County?
If you feel insecure about:
- A double chin
- A recessed chin
- Imbalanced facial features
- Sagging neck skin from the natural aging process
- Facial profile that’s not as aesthetically pleasing as you’d like
A chin augmentation surgery may improve all of these insecurities and make you feel more confident and beautiful.
How a Surgeon Performs Chin Implant Surgery
Chin augmentation surgery is generally completed in about an hour as an outpatient procedure. Your plastic surgeon will most likely give you local anesthesia or general anesthesia so you won’t feel a thing.
Dr. Daneshmand and his surgical team will begin by making a small incision either under your chin or inside your mouth. An incision in either of those areas will be hardly noticeable once you recover. He will then make room for the silicone chin implant and fit it snugly around your chin bone. Once the chin augmentation is complete, Dr. Daneshmand will close the incision with sutures.
Recovery From Chin Implant Surgery
Recovery time from a chin augmentation surgery is generally much shorter and much less painful compared to other cosmetic surgeries. Any discomfort and swelling you may experience can be easily managed with pain medication and ice packs. Additionally, you can expect to be feeling good enough to go back to work in about a week.
Sleeping Instructions After a Chin Augmentation
Dr. Daneshmand will certainly instruct you to sleep on your back with your head elevated with a couple of pillows during the healing process. This will protect your sore face and chin incision while minimizing facial swelling.
Diet and Exercise Instructions
Dr. Daneshmand may also suggest that you follow a liquid diet for a day or two after your surgical procedure. After those first few days, you can resume your normal diet. It’s important to move your body a little bit while you’re healing. However, you should certainly avoid strenuous exercise for 3-4 weeks after your chin augmentation surgery. Taking a 20-30 minute walk every day or doing some basic yoga stretches are perfect examples of low-impact exercise while you’re recovering.
It’s extremely important to follow the specific instructions that Dr. Daneshmand gives you post chin enhancement because everyone’s healing process will be different.
When Will I See the Final Results From Chin Implant Surgery?
Most patients can expect to see the full results of their chin augmentation between one and three months after their cosmetic surgery. This is because many patients will experience swollen facial features for about that long. Once swelling officially goes down, you will see that you no longer have a recessed chin. Instead, you’ll have a stronger chin that defines your whole face and jawline.
Chin Implant Surgery Risks
There are risks that come with any plastic surgery.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Daneshmand will inform you of these risks before your chin augmentation:
- Reactions to local anesthesia
- Facial asymmetry
- Excess bleeding
- Displacement of your implant
- Cardiac complications, including deep vein thrombosis
- Fat necrosis, which is when fatty tissue in your skin dies
- Seroma, or fluid accumulation
- Facial numbness
- Pain that doesn’t go away
- An incision that doesn’t heal well or infection
- Facial lumpiness or welling that doesn’t go down
- Skin discoloration
- A chin augmentation result that you’re not happy with
- Capsular contracture, which is thick scar tissue that forms around implants
- Noticeable scarring
Chin Fillers vs. Chin Implants
Maybe you’re looking for a chin augmentation that doesn’t involve surgery and recovery time. If that’s the case, there are so many other ways to fix a recessed chin bone. Filler can possibly help you achieve the defined chin and jawline that you desire.
Pros of Chin Fillers
The benefits of chin fillers that patients notice are:
- Results that appear within a few days instead of a few months
- No going under the knife and almost immediate recovery
- Only a topical anesthetic is required, not local or general anesthesia
- More affordable than chin implant surgery
Cons of Chin Fillers
The downsides of chin fillers that patients notice are:
- The results only last between 1-2 years so you'll have to keep getting fillers to maintain the look that you want
- Fillers can become more expensive than chin implant surgery over time, especially if you keep getting them
- While fillers do make a difference in your face, the results won’t be as dramatic as a chin augmentation
Pros of Chin Implants
Meanwhile, the benefits of a chin augmentation procedure that patients notice are:
- Permanent chin augmentation results
- More dramatic results compared to fillers
- More ways to customize your specific look with different sizes and shapes of chin implants
- The incision in your mouth or chin will likely be very unnoticeable once you heal
- The surgery is generally very safe and quick, especially with an experienced surgeon
- You could also get another facial plastic surgery done while you’re getting an implant
Cons of Chin Implants
The downsides of a chin augmentation surgery that many people notice are:
- Requires anesthesia and sedation
- More expensive than fillers
- Recovery will take anywhere from 1-3 weeks, depending on the person
- More painful because of the incision either in the chin or mouth
- If you eventually decide that you don’t like your chin augmentation, you'll have to have another surgery to undo the result
Why You Should Choose Implants Over Fillers
You’ll be much happier with a chin implant procedure if you:
- Desire fairly dramatic, permanent facial changes
- Are more interested in a “one and done” surgery that improves your facial appearance
- Have already tried the fillers route and you’re ready for a permanent look
- Are already considering other cosmetic surgeries like liposuction or a nose job
Other Types of Chin Surgeries
If you have a receding chin that’s impacting your facial appearance and confidence, there are plenty other chin enhancement treatment options to consider.
If you feel that your chin is too big, your surgeon can actually shave the bone down to make it a more aesthetically pleasing shape or size.
If your main insecurity is sagging neck skin or a double chin, you can potentially fix this without an implant. Liposuction may give you the results you desire by suctioning out excess fat and giving you a sharper jawline.
Chin Augmentation in Orange County and Bakersfield, California
If you’re looking to get any facial rejuvenation work done in Orange County, you need a plastic surgeon with extensive experience so that you can look your best. Dr. Daneshmand offers implants to fix a weak chin.
Call Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute at 949-359-8397 to schedule a personal consultation with us.