Dr. Hootan Daneshmand
Newport Beach Plastic Surgery Center
Newport Beach Mommy Makeover
During pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum, a woman’s body completely changes on a physical and hormonal level. It’s a beautiful thing, and all women should embrace the changes that come with motherhood. However, embracing a new and drastically different looking body after such a major life change is incredibly difficult, especially in a society with such unattainable beauty standards. It’s unfortunately very difficult for new mothers to look at themselves in the mirror and not want their pre-baby body back. Diet and exercise can certainly help a new mom to “bounce back” and feel more confident, but there are some physical changes that can’t be undone without surgery. That’s why so many women turn to a mommy makeover in Newport Beach, CA.
A mommy makeover is a plastic surgery package deal that includes multiple procedures that can help a woman return to her pre-pregnancy shape. A Newport Beach mommy makeover can include breast enhancement (such as a breast lift, breast augmentation, or breast reduction), abdominoplasty, vaginal rejuvenation, liposuction, and even a butt lift, depending on the woman’s aesthetic concerns and goals. Mommy makeover surgeon Dr. Daneshmand at Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute has more than 30 years of experience in helping his patients “bounce back” and feel good about themselves once again. Below, he answers all the most common mommy makeover FAQs he receives from his patients, so that they can feel ready before they go under the knife.
Schedule your Newport Beach mommy makeover consultation with Dr. Daneshmand by calling 661-491-7673 today.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover consists of multiple plastic surgery procedures that are designed to help women achieve their pre-pregnancy body again after having a baby. A woman’s body is beautiful and should be celebrated in every stage of life, especially during pregnancy, childbirth, and postpartum, but it’s hard for many women to come to terms with such major physical changes.
Most women experience loose skin in the abdominal area, sagging breasts, stretch marks, and general weight gain after having a baby, all of which are completely normal and should not warrant self-loathing. Even still, it’s common for new mothers to feel insecure in their new shapes, and to desperately want to return to their pre-pregnancy appearance, or as close to it as possible. These women may experience a major boost in self-confidence after undergoing a mommy makeover procedure.
Common Mommy Makeover Procedures
So – what does a mommy makeover consist of? Different plastic surgery offices offer different mommy makeover packages, but most mommy makeovers include a tummy tuck, breast surgery, vaginal rejuvenation, liposuction, and/or a butt lift.
A tummy tuck is one of the multiple surgeries that’s usually included in a mommy makeover package. A tummy tuck, also called an abdominoplasty, aims to remove excess skin and fat from the abdominal area.
One of the biggest physical changes that new mothers notice after pregnancy and childbirth is that they have extra abdominal skin and fat from their baby bumps. With time and a healthy diet and exercise routine, some women can “bounce back” and lose much of the excess weight from their abdominal area. But mothers who have twin or triplet pregnancies (or just very large baby bumps in general), generally can’t get rid of excess tissue and sagging skin without surgery.
A tummy tuck can fix this problem, especially if a healthy lifestyle can’t. Newport Beach plastic surgeons will make an incision in the bikini line area, pull the abdominal skin down to make it flat and smooth, trim the excess skin and fat, tighten separated abdominal muscles (especially in cases of diastasis recti), and then suture up the incision. In a full tummy tuck, the plastic surgeon will manipulate and move the belly button, but in a mini tummy tuck, the plastic surgeon won’t have to touch the belly button at all.
Tummy tuck recovery can be long and brutal, especially for those who undergo a full or circumferential tummy tuck. Be sure to plan for lots of downtime over the next 4 to 6 weeks, and follow all post-operative instructions from your Newport Beach plastic surgeon.
Because it’s common for breast size to change drastically during pregnancy and breastfeeding, many women also opt for breast surgery as part of their mommy makeover plastic surgery package.
The type of breast enhancement procedure that a woman chooses depends on how her breast shape and size have changed. If a woman’s breasts have gotten much larger since having a baby, she may desire a breast reduction. If a woman has lost breast volume since having a baby, she may choose breast augmentation surgery with saline or silicone implants. And lastly, if excess breast tissue is causing a woman’s breasts to sag (breast ptosis), she may want a breast lift.
Board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Daneshmand can help you decide which breast surgery is right for your body and aesthetic goals, and whether or not you need breast implants to achieve a youthful breast appearance. If Dr. D believes that breast implants are necessary to get your breasts back to your pre-pregnancy shape, he will help you decide between saline and silicone implants as well.
It’s no surprise that pregnancy and childbirth can also change overall vaginal appearance and function. Some women experience larger labia, and some women tear during birth, which can lead to long-term pain and discomfort during sexual activity and certain types of exercise. Because of these issues, many women opt for a vaginal rejuvenation procedure as part of their mommy makeover to boost their self-confidence and improve pain and discomfort.
The most common vaginal plastic surgery procedures include:
- Labiaplasty: This surgical procedure changes the size of the labia minora tissue.
- Monsplasty: Meanwhile, this procedure changes the size of the mons pubis, which is the pad of fat right above the pubic bone. Usually, a monsplasty procedure is reserved for those who have lots of excess skin in their pubic area from drastic weight loss.
- Mons Pubis Liposuction: This procedure also changes the size of the mons pubis, but it is generally less invasive than the aforementioned procedure. Mons pubis liposuction is typically reserved for those who have a “puffy” looking pubic area from stubborn fat.
Although vaginal appearance and function will continue to change throughout the natural aging process, you can expect the results from your vaginal rejuvenation to last for many years.
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding naturally program a woman’s body to hold onto fat in order to keep their babies alive. This is a very beautiful and necessary part of motherhood that should be celebrated. However, many women struggle to lose the “extra baby weight” even years after giving birth, no matter how much dieting and exercising they do. That’s why many women undergo liposuction as part of their mommy makeover procedure.
During a liposuction procedure, a plastic surgeon will make a small incision in the target area of the body, insert a thin tube called a cannula, and begin breaking up and suctioning out stubborn fat deposits. Liposuction can be performed in almost any part of the body, including the:
Butt lifts are very common parts of mommy makeover surgery packages as well. There are many types of butt lift surgeries to choose from, including:
- Brazilian Butt Lifts (BBL): During this procedure, a Newport Beach plastic surgeon will liposuction excess fat out of one area of the body, purify it, and then inject it into the butt.
- Direct Butt Lift: Think of a tummy tuck, but for the butt. A plastic surgeon will make a long incision across the lower back, trim excess fat and skin, pull the skin upwards, and suture it in its lifted position.
- Butt Augmentation With Implants: Think of a breast augmentation, but for the butt. A plastic surgeon in Newport Beach will insert silicone implants into the gluteal area to create a perkier, rounder appearance. In general, plastic surgeons will advise against this type of butt lift because it can lead to the most “botched” looking results. The implants can shift around in the butt area, which can cause daily discomfort and unnatural results.
- Butt Injections: This is the least minimally invasive butt lift procedure out there. Collagen fillers and fat grafting can give the butt a subtle, but very aesthetically pleasing shape.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
The best candidate for a Newport Beach mommy makeover procedure is someone who:
- Has generally good health and no medical history of major conditions or diseases.
- Is within 25 pounds of their goal weight. Mommy makeover patients who later undergo massive weight loss will likely lose many of their surgical results.
- Is at a stable weight. In other words, it’s not a good idea for a new mother to undergo mommy makeover surgery so soon after giving birth, no matter how eager she is to get her pre-baby body back. Major weight fluctuations are very common and normal during the first year of postpartum. It’s best to wait until your weight has stabilized to undergo plastic surgery, or you could have very temporary results.
- Doesn’t plan on having future pregnancies. Mommy makeover procedures should be reserved for those who are officially done having children, so that they won’t ever reverse their aesthetic results by becoming pregnant again.
- Doesn’t smoke or vape. Smoking and vaping can make any type of surgical procedure dangerous, and it can slow down the post-op healing process. Mommy makeover patients who smoke or vape must agree to quit several weeks before surgery.
Mommy Makeover Pros and Cons
Undergoing mommy makeover surgery is a huge physical and financial commitment. It’s important to be aware of all the risks and benefits before going under the knife and enduring a long recovery period.
- Mommy makeovers can fix numerous aesthetic and functional issues at the same time so that the woman doesn’t have to undergo multiple separate surgeries.
- Many women say that their mommy makeover results are well worth the money and pain. These procedures can revert the body back to its pre-pregnancy state, or possibly even better than its pre-pregnancy state.
- Results from mommy makeover procedures can boost overall body confidence.
- A tummy tuck can not only result in a flatter abdominal area, but the removal of stretch marks and c-section scars as well.
- Mommy makeovers can fix numerous functional issues, such as diastasis recti, which is when the abdominal muscles separate during pregnancy. Diastasis recti can lead to back pain, hernias, and urinary incontinence. Core exercises can improve the issue, but not totally fix it. Plastic surgeons can stitch the abdominal muscles back together during a tummy tuck, which will drastically improve a woman’s quality of life and self-confidence post-op.
- Healing from multiple surgical procedures can be incredibly painful and require weeks of downtime. If you have babies or young children, mommy makeover recovery can be incredibly difficult, stressful, and inconvenient. You will have to have lots of outside help from loved ones, or wait to do this surgical procedure until the children are older and more self-sufficient.
- Mommy makeover patients can’t work, lift heavy objects, exercise, or have sex for several weeks post-op.
- Mommy makeover surgery can result in unsatisfactory results, such as asymmetrical breasts or an uneven appearance from liposuction.
- Some surgeries, like vaginal rejuvenation, have fairly permanent results. Meanwhile, tummy tucks and liposuction procedures tend to have “semi-permanent” results. In other words, if you don’t follow a healthy lifestyle in the years post-op you may gain weight and lose your results.
- Some procedures can leave scarring, such as tummy tucks and breast augmentations.
How Long Does it Take to Recover From a Mommy Makeover?
The exact mommy makeover recovery period will depend on the number and type of surgeries you undergo. Your Newport Beach plastic surgeon can give you a rough estimate of how long your healing process will be, as well as specific post operative instructions.
Most women need to take at least 2 weeks off work to rest and recover, and don’t begin feeling back to normal for up to six weeks. It may take longer than 6 weeks to see final results, though, due to swelling and bruising. You can expect to see final results between the 6 to 12 month mark.
How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
The cost of a mommy makeover procedure will depend on numerous factors, including:
- Your geographic location.
- Your plastic surgeon’s experience level.
- How many procedures, and what type of procedures, you choose to undergo.
- Whether or not your plastic surgeon offers a “package deal” price.
- Whether or not your health insurance covers one or more procedures. As a general rule of thumb, health insurance will not cover elective surgery, such as a plastic surgery, because it’s not medically necessary. However, many procedures included in the mommy makeover package are done to improve legitimate functional and medical issues, such as diastasis recti, hernias, and vaginal prolapse. Health insurance may cover the cost of some of these procedures.
With that being said, the average cost of a mommy makeover is $15,657 according to a site called RealSelf, where patients and doctors discuss plastic surgeries. Be sure to schedule a mommy makeover consultation at Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute to learn what your exact price tag is.
Schedule Your Newport Beach Mommy Makeover TodayIf you’re looking for the best mommy makeover surgeon in the Newport Beach area, look no further than Dr. Daneshmand at Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute. Dr. Daneshmand has more than 30 years of experience in plastic and reconstructive surgery, so you can rest assured that he will deliver the best mommy makeover results as well as boosted post-baby body confidence. At Silhouette, our Newport Beach and Orange County mommy makeover packages include breast enhancement (such as breast lift and breast enlargement), abdominoplasties, vaginal rejuvenation, and so much more. Call our Newport Beach office at 661-491-7673 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Daneshmand today.
TAKE A MOMENT TO REVIEW
Before & After Galleries
Please review our extensive galleries of before and after photos of actual patients of Silhouette Plastic Surgery Institute.